Thursday, October 14, 2004

The truth is ....

I'm not a very political person, but for some reason, this year has been different. I've actually paid a bit more attention to what the candidates have been saying (even though some of it may not be quite accurate). At least we have the freedom and tools to seek out the truth ... which, in the end, should help someone make an informed decision.

Since I'm a Canadian, I can't vote for our next President. If I could, it would be for the best person for the job. I really don't believe I'd be able to vote along party lines, if I thought the candidate of my party was doing a lousy job.

Did a little surfing on the Web this evening, and ended up at Factcheck.org (the address DC got wrong in his debate with JE). It was little surprise, that both candidates don't quite have their facts correct ... but after reading a few of the articles, it was no surprise to see which candidate was a little closer to the truth ... and which one wasn't!

One example from Factcheck.org, of a great ad (depending on which side you're on), is an article titled Bush Ad Twists Kerry's Words on Iraq. It makes for interesting reading, since everyone knows the "flip flop" ad it's referring to. The article ends with the quote "But aside from the $87 billion matter, this Bush ad is a textbook example of how to mislead voters through selective editing." Misleading seems to be something that's going on quite a bit lately.

I think it was one of my teachers in school, who said the test for voting for President is to ask yourself one question, "Are you better off now than you were four years ago?" It's certainly a valid question this election year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment